Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Advice on Staying Quiet in Class

O.k. I usually write about something I have encountered whilst working, and this week's challenge is with my very own 8 year old who has a difficulty. She talks constantly. I mean, all the time. Forever.
Not for attention, not to disrupt the class, but she just talks compulsively.
So it's her fourth year in school, and each September I pray for a stern, 'no nonsense' teacher who will challenge my daughter's habit. Alas but no. Yet again I am emplored by teacher to do something about my daughter's talking.
So another year, another chart? What's going to work?
Here's my latest approach:
1) A Visual image to have on her desk:



2) A weekly chart to record how she is doing - we did use one before, but the consequences got lost.
3) Lines. I know it's old-fashioned, but I think it will work. It's not enough to say 'o.k you're not going out to play, or no t.v.' She will end up happily doing something else! So lines it is, and here's how the scores go.
If she scores a terrible 1 (rank - poor) for listening and a 1 for staying quiet, that equals 4 exercise book pages of lines 'I must stay quiet in class'.
For a score of 2 (rank - not good), it's 1 page of lines and so on.
It is also clear that a full week of 3's may also result in a page or two.

Call me strict, but my daughter does not have a learning difficulty, we try everything to encourage her to keep quiet when it is appropriate to do so - such as in Mass, at School and when she should be listening. I feel that this could be the thing that (hopefully) works.
On the whole, she's very clever, and understands how this system is going to work. I am determind that I can help her with this - no point being cross, but I'll try to help her to change her verbal behaviour in the classroom.

Here's the text of the chart - copy and paste if you can use it yourself:
 Classroom Chart


1=Poor     5=Very Good                                         Date: ___/___/2011


Day
Listening
Staying Quiet
MONDAY

1  2  3  4  5


1  2  3  4  5

TUESDAY

1  2  3  4  5


1  2  3  4  5

WEDNESDAY

1  2  3  4  5


1  2  3  4  5

THURSDAY

1  2  3  4  5


1  2  3  4  5

FRIDAY

1  2  3  4  5


1  2  3  4  5



Teacher Notes:






Parent Notes:







Also - I think it's good to have a chart like this. I do not want to draw too much attention to her talking, so it's a nice way of keeping track and communicating with her teacher.
Next stop - chewing gum.
I will see how she gets on this week - and I'll keep you posted!

Claire.

I must remember to keep you posted, I must remember to keep you posted, I must remember to keep you posted......

No comments:

Post a Comment